6JM 2019 - 2020
Welcome to 6JM's class page!
Hello, I'm Mrs Maddox and I am teaching Year 6 this year and leading mathematics with Mrs Furlong. This will be my fifth year working at Offley.
In my spare time I enjoy baking, reading, clubbercising (which the children love in PE lessons), exploring new places in the local area, going to music concerts and spending time with my friends and family.
- PE will be taught on a Monday afternoon (both indoor and outdoor); however, the children will need their kits in school at all times as this could sometimes change.
- The children will be taught by Mrs Bennion and Mrs Edwards on a Tuesday afternoon.
- Times table tests are on a Thursday.
- Spelling tests are on a Friday and the children will receive new spellings at this time too.
- Homework will be from the choices sheet, in addition to other tasks which will be given out on Fridays this term.
- As part of 'Free Friday' the children are encouraged to bring in a book, magazine or comic of their choice to read; this doesn't have to be their Accelerated Reading book.
Autumn Term Information
This term our big question is 'Is there no place like home?'. We will be exploring World War Two and finding out how the war started, who was involved, key events, what life was like for evacuees, how the war finally ended and the impact it has had on modern events.
Our class text this half term is 'Friend or Foe' by Michael Morpurgo, which we will be dipping in and out of for guided reading. We will also be reading 'Star of Fear, Star of Hope' and 'Erika's Story' through our English lessons.
Week ending: 13.09.19
We've had another fantastic week in 6JM and the children are already working incredibly hard - I'm extremely impressed with their conscientiousness and positive attitudes.
In maths we have been exploring place value in numbers up to ten million and solving problems linked to this. The children have also been given their new Times Table Rockstar logins and it would be great if they could spend some time on this at home if possible.
We have started a new programme in English called 'Pathways to Write' and this week we have been exploring the beginning of the text 'Star of Fear, Star of Hope' by Jo Hoestlandt, which is about two young girls who live in France during the Nazi occupation, through drama. The children also wrote a short story about an evacuee leaving their home to seek safety in a different area of Britain. This all links to our World War Two topic and the children have also found it very interesting learning about the reasons why the war started in our topic work this week.
IMPORTANT: Next Wednesday we are going swimming, where the children will be assessed. This is the rescheduled session that we missed last week.
Files to Download
6JM: News items
There are no News items to display
6JM: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
6JM: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
6JM: Events items
There are no Events items to display